In a clearing on the edge of the Tain Woods about two hours from Ostrog is found the izba of Svetlana (Wit7). Nearby sits a curious banya, warmed perpetually by the steam mephit, Kyet, whom she has bound to her service. Hens peck in the yard between.
Svetlana is willing to bestow a boon upon adventurers who will promise a “modest” service in return, usually something involving potion ingredients. She never thinks to mention the 1-in-6 chance one’s legs are transformed to match her unusual situation. “Not to worry, it’s only temporary! Probably. Maybe those cave mushrooms you’re fetching me can help.”
What’s Happening at Svetlana’s? (1d6)
1) A naming ceremony for a new child at the Naming Stone in Svetlana’s clearing. 2d6 villagers, mostly women, are here to witness the name the child is given. There is a 3-in-6 chance the patronymic Svetlana names from the stone will be unexpected and that of one of the PCs. Whether it’s true or some fey trickery is up to that player.
2) Two otterfolk, Fishbone & Opivy, are here seeking help from Svetlana regarding the ogre gang disrupting their Alavil river trade. Unless they pay a “levy” the ogres throw boulders from the shore or send their sturgeon Theo to tip the rafts. Supplies expected by locals were recently lost.
3) The “Branch Sisters” (Dryadi Wytches), Nightclover, Ashleaf & Gloomrose have joined Svetlana for a symposium. They are all stewed. With a positive reaction & ample payment they might be willing to stick around for a week to teach spells before returning to their grove.
4) Svetlana has converted the washing room of her banya into a humidor for the three lantern dragonettes she’s been raising. The runt, Dymrir, might wish to leave. Some villagers in Ostrog are annoyed lately by all the candles which have disappeared.
5) Svetlana has brewed up 1d4+2 new potions. One of these is always a “truth drug.” They are for sale or barter. Among her favorite offers are your memories, e.g. “the last heroic thing you did,” “a comrade’s sacrifice for you,” or “what even is rain?” Offering memories too often can create… complications.
6) The doll golem, Savva, which Svetlana sent off to collect honeycomb from the giant bee hives of the war bears has not returned. Svetlana would be so grateful if Savva was returned. She couldn’t be that difficult to find for all the buttons which are forever falling off of her.